Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Upside of Breakups

I feel I should start this off with a disclaimer: I haven't dated anyone recently, I haven't broken up with anyone recently, both of those would require me to have some sort of man around which I do not have. The contents of this post are merely a reflection on past events.

This morning we decided to make crepes. So we took a walk to the grocery store to gather the necessary ingredients. Flour, eggs, milk for the crepes....strawberries, nutella, bananas, lemons and sugar for the toppings. We got home, started mixing up the batter and were about to cook them up when I remembered I had a crepe maker stored in a random box somewhere in the back of the upstairs closet. After a lot of searching, I found it and we went to town with the crepe maker. I remembered it working good but I didn't remember it working SO good. It was magical. My roommates were asking me about it which spurred the memory that I had bought it after breaking up with a boyfriend a few years back. They laughed.

As I got to thinking about it though I realized that all my best appliances had been bought after particularly bad breakups. I won't lie, I'm glad none of them worked out for many many reasons, but the obvious ones aside, if it weren't for failed relationships I wouldn't have ever been the proud owner of a quesadilla maker, the Magic Bullet blender, a George Foreman grill, an icecream maker, and of course the crepe maker. All things that have brought me much joy over the past several years of my life. I mean ideally, it'd be nice to have one of them work out eventually, but hey, on the off chance that I suffer a few more broken hearts I do have my eye on a nice juicer and a cotton candy machine. both of which would be great little additions to my collection. So a little bit of advice to all the women out there, just know that there's no heart too broken that a trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond can't fix. And to you men reading this, if your feeling a little left out because you feel like a kitchen appliance just won't cut it for mending that shattered heart of yours, just take a trip to the hardware store and pick yourselves up some power tools. That's sure to do the trick.

P.S. In case you were wondering, the crepes turned out delicious as always. A crepe with lemon juice and a dash of powdered sugar is the best way to start off your Saturday morning.

No comments: