Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Hills are alive...

This semester I'm doing an internship at a place called NOmen Global helping to teach English to speakers of other languages. The class i'm helping out in is a level one class so you often find yourself using props and hand gestures to explain things because explaining in words just makes them more confused. In class a few weeks back the teacher was explaining the concept of "this/that is" and "these/those are" and she had the students practicing by looking at a picture and saying things like "these are cows" or "those are trees". In the picture there were some rolling hills as the background and one of the questions that came up from one of the students was the difference between hills and mountains. The teacher tried explaining it a few times but it was obvious that the student still wasn't quite catching on. So the lady that was sitting next to me got the confused students attention, stood up and pulled me up with her. Then she point to her own chest (she was rather well endowed) and said "These are mountains" and then pointing to my chest, "Those are hills"! It was a good enough analogy that the confused student finally understood the difference between mountains and hills. All it took was one look at my chest for that student to understand that hills are significantly smaller than mountains.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I have hills, too, Brooke. Me too.

emily said...

Hahahahahaha. I'd rather have hills than mountains anyway.

Anonymous said...

...then you proceeded to tell me the story and you used me as the example of mountains. thanks.